“Why should they ask me to put on a uniform, and go 10,000 miles from home and drop bombs and bullets on brown people in Vietnam, while so-called Negro people in Louisville are treated like dogs and denied simple human rights?” -Muhammad Ali
Muhammad Ali Dies at Age 74 2:12
Muhammad Ali, known as "The Greatest" for being a controversial and polarizing figure both inside and outside the boxing ring. A civil rights champion and one of the most recognized sports figures of the past 100 years, is dead.
Ali died Friday at a Phoenix-area hospital, where he had spent the past few days being treated for respiratory complications, a family spokesman confirmed to NBC News who broke the story. He was 74.
Fighter and Thinker: the Two Sides of Muhammad Ali 1:16
Muhammad Ali Celebrated at Compelling, Affectionate New Exhibition 1:06
HERE ARE SOME OF OUR FAVORITE MUHAMMAD ALI'S QUOTES
1. "Don't count the days. Make the days count."
2. "The fight is won or lost far away from the witnesses, behind the lines, in the gym and out there on the road, long before I dance under those lights."
3. "I am the greatest. I said that even before I knew I was. I figured that if I said it enough, I would convince the world that I was really the greatest."
4. "Float like a butterfly. Sting like a bee. You can't hit what your eyes don't see."
5. "Impossible is just a word thrown around by small men who find it easier to live in the world they've been given than to explore the power they have to change it. Impossible is not a fact. It's an opinion. Impossible is potential. Impossible is temporary. Impossible is nothing."
6. "The man who has no imagination has no wings."