Made in the District is proud to release a street style feature showcasing fashionable men and women in D.C. We are partnering with photography collective, Street Meet DC, a diverse group of photographers that meet monthly. Beginning with only 3 members, Street Meet DC now has approximately 120 photographers attending their meets. In this weeks feature article we will be featuring the work of Waleska Del Sol , Melissa Monsalve, and Brittany Cummings
1. Ayana Zaire- @AYANAZAIRE
Photographer: Brittany Cummings
1. Name: Ayana Zaire
2. Occupation: Artist, Creative Director & Editor in Chief for Distrikt Magazine, Community Offline Manager for A Creative DC, Digital Art Programming for the Hirshhorn
3. Age: 22
4. In one word, how would you describe your style: Remixed. Whatever I buy I end up cutting, sewing or painting on to elevate it and make it mine.
5. How long does it take you to get ready in the morning? 30 minutes to shower, 20 to moisturize hair and body, 10 to find something that isn't in the hamper or on the floor, seconds for mascara and Carmex (or lipstick if I'm particularly in the caring mood)
6. Who was your first style icon? Bootsy Collins for the stage looks but I've always had an affinity for George Clinton's braids.
7. Anything to say about the DC Fashion Scene? It's our job to pour love into it. I've seen so many talented minds who've come from the DMV go off and do amazing things within fashion in other cities. There is so much passion and interest in style and fashion here, particularly in the young creative community...we just have to start working really hard to build an infrastructure where that interest and passion can be fed. Maybe this means an incubator for young designers, workshops on sewing and patternmaking, exhibitions for emerging designers, access to means of production and sample making etc. I'm working on it.
8 . What is the last clothing or accessory item you purchased? This long sleeve, black ribbed leotard thing that I'll probably only wear to sleep.
9. What is your favorite fashion trend of all time? Women showcasing their nipples as part of their outfit.
10. Do you have any specific goals for the rest of this year? To move into the fucking city, start a philosophy book club, and to help open a much needed, affordable co-working studio for artists to create. The last one was to work for the Hirshhorn but that's happened as of this month. :)
Photographer: Brittany Cummings
1. Name: Sung Kim
2. Occupation: DJ/Bartender
3. Age: 35
4. In one word, how would you describe your style: Understated
5. How long does it take you to get ready in the morning? My morning routine usually takes 30 minutes.
6. Who was your first style icon? Never had one but if I had to choose it would be Yves Saint Laurent.
7. Anything to say about the DC Fashion Scene? Growing up in the DMV, I've seen the area's bland fashion scene become more diverse and refined - largely due to social media platforms and fashion blogs. The opening of new neighborhoods have also contributed to the growth of DC fashion.
8 . What is the last clothing or accessory item you purchased? A pair of white Nike Air Force 1 Mids
9. What is your favorite fashion trend of all time? I think people were best dressed during the Roaring Twenties
10. Do you have any specific goals for the rest of this year? To continue honing and developing my craft as a DJ. Be more physically active. Improve on contributing more to my community.
3. SALEENA TITUS- @_SALEENER
Photographer: Waleska Del Sol
1. Name: Saleena Titus
2. Occupation: full time student,Topgolf associate
3. Age: 17
4. In one word, how would you describe your style: minimalist
5. How long does it take you to get ready in the morning? Depends on how I'm feeling that day, typically 30-45 minutes
6. Who was your first style icon? Aleali May
7. Anything to say about the DC Fashion Scene? It's cool, it's pretty diverse which I like because I like switching up my style depending on my mood
8 . What is the last clothing or accessory item you purchased? Thrift store finds:), a red tube top dress that looks like something straight out of the movie Clueless
9. What is your favorite fashion trend of all time? FUR
10. Do you have any specific goals for the rest of this year? Get accepted by my first choice college, work as an intern in the fashion industry over the summer, travel to new places, and explore short term Peace Corps opportunities
Photographer: Melissa Monsalve
1. Name: Kevin Gray
2. Occupation: Menswear Consultant/Brand Developer
3. Age: 32
4. In one word, how would you describe your style: Versatile.
5. How long does it take you to get ready in the morning? It takes me about an hour to get ready in the morning. I blame that on not having any idea what I'm going to wear until I'm out the shower.
6. Who was your first style icon? My first style icon was The Fresh Prince. Coming up in the early 90's, he was the personification of dope to me. From his footwear to his lingo, I tried to mimic him.
7. Anything to say about the DC Fashion Scene? DC is like mumbo sauce. It's hard to pinpoint the ingredients, but it's delicious and exclusive to the DC area. With the growth of the internet, DC's stand alone fashion has given way to the trends seen globally on blogs and Instagram. So if fashion is a chicken wing and the other regions throw ranch dressing on it, we douse that bird with our own mumbo sauce. Feel me?
8 . What is the last clothing or accessory item you purchased? A pair of custom denims from Carter & Powell. They're an emerging brand based in Chicago. Imagine Basquiat wanted to borrow your favorite jeans to go to work in, and he gave them back...and added a cashmere patch.
9. What is your favorite fashion trend of all time? The double breasted blazer. It's a trend that fades but comes back stronger every time. But it's still under appreciated.
10. Do you have any specific goals for the rest of this year? One goal I have is to start a podcast. Keep your ears to the streets...