Made in the District is proud to release a street style feature showcasing fashionable men and women in D.C. We are partnering with photography collective, Street Meet DC, a diverse group of photographers that meet monthly. Beginning with only 3 members, Street Meet DC now has approximately 120 photographers attending their meets. In this weeks feature article we will be featuring the work of Franklin Prudencio and Brittany Cummings.
1. NATE HOPKINS - @Nate_Hopp
Photographer: Franklin Prudencio
1. Name: Nate Hopkins
2. Occupation: Program Analyst/Chef/DJ/
3. Age: 34
4. In one word, how would you describe your style: Clean.
5. How long does it take you to get ready in the morning: About 30 minutes.
6. Who was your first style icon: I'd have to say a combination of Nick Wooster and Kanye West. I don't like everything they wear, but I like some things and can always find some type of inspiration.
7. Anything to say about the DC Fashion Scene: It's confusing. I believe some people think wearing a bunch of designer labels makes you fly. It just makes you a person wearing a bunch of designer labels.
8 . What is the last clothing or accessory item you purchased: A red woven Bottega Veneta cardholder.
9. What is your favorite fashion trend of all time: A good sneaker. I think your selection of shoes says something about you without you having to say anything.
10. Do you have any specific goals for the rest of this year: I'd like to focus more on food driven events, a cook book and possibly be involved in more branding projects.
2. SARAH GARGAGLIANO PHILLIPS - @FiftyTwoThursdays
Photographer: Franklin Prudencio
1. Name: Sarah Gargagliano Phillips
2. Occupation: Creative Consultant/Business Owner of 52 Thursdays Consulting/ Editor of 52 Thursdays
3. Age: 31
4. In one word, how would you describe your style: Classic with and edgy twist. I love playing with different trends but when I am making purchases, I usually lean towards more classic pieces that can carry over from season to season.
5. How long does it take you to get ready in the morning? Depends on where I am going but usually I can get ready in about 30 mins. I have my routine down to a science, shower, makeup and hair and then throw on whatever inspires me that day. I am in the gym a lot, so 80% of the time I am in workout gear which makes it pretty easy to get dressed in the morning!
6. Who was your first style icon? My first style icon was actually Stephanie Tanner from Full House! Not even kidding! I remember thinking how cool she looked and always tried to dress like her when I was 8 years old. Luckily my style and my icons have evolved over the years..
7. Anything to say about the DC Fashion Scene? It has come a long way over the last couple years. DC has never been known for setting trends or pushing the envelope in the fashion department but I feel like people are finally starting to notice DC for more than just politics.
8 . What is the last clothing or accessory item you purchased? A pair of mesh leggings at Lululemon. I am a sucker for edgy workout gear, so when I something stands out to me I scoop it up fast. Since I live in my workout gear, I have a ton of it...45 pairs of leggings to be exact. Some may think I have a problem, I like to think I just have more options.
9. What is your favorite fashion trend of all time? Currently I am obsessed with over the knee boots. I wear them every opportunity that I can! They are super flattering and give a bit of edge to each look you wear them with.
10. Do you have any specific goals for the rest of this year? My goals are to grow my consulting business, bring on more social media clients and focus on keeping fit and inspiring others to live a healthy lifestyle by offering more fitness classes to our readers. I love being able to share my passion with others and hope that I can do more of that in 2016!
3. JULIEN JAMES - @Sirjulienjames
Photographer: Brittany Cummings
1. Name: Julien James
2. Occupation: Creative direction, social media, and content development
3. Age: 26
4. In one word, how would you describe your style: minimal
5. How long does it take you to get ready in the morning? I only have 5 different colors in my closer so It usually doesn't take that long in the mornings, I just kinda throw on whatever I feel like wearing and go.
6. Who was your first style icon? James Dean, that is the epitome of cool! Either James or Marvin Gaye his style was effortless dope too.
7. Anything to say about the DC Fashion Scene? DC has a few dope designers my favorite being cheick (ig @cchhcckk) of @reve_artwear. Style wise there are a few people who that have impeccable style.
8 . What is the last clothing or accessory item you purchased? I recently bought a Matt & Nat back black leather backpack, I'll be wearing it all year long (literally). I also picked up a shirt from drôle de Monsieur.
9. What is your favorite fashion trend of all time? Grunge
10. Do you have any specific goals for the rest of this year? I want to be named most stylish male in dc, visit Mexico City, Toronto, LA and crash a wedding
4. JULIEN GARMAN - @Juliengarman
Photographer: Brittany Cummings
1. Name: Julien Garman
2. Occupation: Marketing Coordinator by day, blogger by night ;)
3. Age: 27
4. IN ONE WORD, HOW WOULD YOU DESCRIBE YOUR STYLE: Easygoing. I like trying new trends, but not because they’re trendy...more because I'm in a constant process of defining my style.
5. How long does it take you to get ready in the morning? About an hour
6. Who was your first style icon? Cher in Clueless. I thought she was so well put together and her closet was a dream. I’d walk around saying “whatever” and “as-if” to everyone I knew. I think I was the clueless one haha!
7. Anything to say about the DC Fashion Scene? I think it’s highly underrated. The fashion here isn’t as prominent as New York, but I think it’s growing rapidly. More designers are choosing to stay here and the underground style scene is incredible.
8 . What is the last clothing or accessory item you purchased? A pair of Maison Martin Margiela boots I found on an online thrift shop.
9. What is your favorite fashion trend of all time? The LBD (little black dress)
10. Do you have any specific goals for the rest of this year? I’d really love to continue growing my blog and devote time to my youtube channel. I’d also like to attend NYFW, support local designers and find a pair of OTK boots that fit my calves (kidding, mostly!)